kio-locate something for KDE ?

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Dec 16 08:46:46 GMT 2002

On Monday 16 December 2002 08:38, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> I contacted Michael Schurig, the author of kio-locate. He wrote back
> that he thinks kio-locate would be something very useful for adding
> it to KDE, so the question is wether you guys think that too or not
> :-) (I would say yes, yes, yes !!! :-))
<snip>

I think there is an end to what should be implemented as a KIOslave.
Locate doesn't seem to fit here, because a typical locate run will
return matches from different directories (you'd get away with ls if it
didn't).

Every other KIOslave I know only ever lists a single directory level
(yes, even the info:// and man:// slaves do). So how do you want to
present the search results in Konq?

1. Show the top-level directories in which matches were found. To see
the matches, you have to click your way through the folder hierarchy.
2. Show a HTML page (resembling a FTP listing in browsers) with the
results
3. Show a single directory where each file's name is the corresponding
match's absolute path.

Judging from the screenshots on appsy, it seems to do (3). Is that
right? I think that's breaking filemanager semantics. Why doesn't it
create a html page instead, as other slaves do?

Marc

--
If free-software authors lose the right to disclaim all warranties and
find themselves getting sued over the performance of the programs