error compiling kdelibs rc5

Herr Maik HERTHA maik.hertha at volkswagen.de
Mon Dec 16 06:24:16 GMT 2002

David Faure wrote:

>On Thursday 12 December 2002 16:08, Herr Maik HERTHA wrote:
>

>>Compiling RC5 on a sgi-box stops with several errors:
>>
>>The MipsPro compiler suite (current 7.3.1.3m) requires several changes.
>>Not all of type using namespace, also a lot with clean classname access.
>>

>The namespace issue with this compiler has been reported multiple times,
>but I'm not sure if the conclusion was that it's a bug in the compiler? I think so:
>http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=103033687123133&w=2
>
>The problem is that 1) with enable-final the "using namespace"s might not be harmless
>2) even if those fixes are harmless, for other compilers, there's nothing that guarantees
>further development will keep using them at the right place in the right files....

Yes , I know. There might be some discussion. I'm not the c++ expert,
I've read in Soustrup 'The C++ Language, 3rd Edition" about this
problem. There are discussed a lot stuff why to use the namespace
directive. Two are very important, correctness and clearness of the
code. The sgi-guys might guess, if the code is clear and correct, there
will no problems with the MipsPro. Than it can't be a bug. If you have a
look on the gcc there are no problems. Yes the compiler does the job, to
get correctness and clearness.

Have a look at kdelibs-3.1rc5/interfaces/ktexteditor/ktexteditor.cpp

#include "document.moc"
#include "view.moc"
#include "plugin.moc"
#include "editor.moc"

using namespace KTextEditor;

The definition of the namespace is behind the *.moc files. The MipsPro
could not decide which Plugin::className( ... ) to use. Moving the
namespace definition before the *.moc includes, the compiler don't
complains about unclear method resolution.

As we want to have the KDE on a wide range of unices, it will support
our effort (Andreas Sturm and me) to reduce the tons off extra work to
get a new release compilable by the MipsPro.

Thanks.

Maik./

--

mit freundlichem Gruß /
best regards

Maik Hertha

EBSP Anwenderbetreuung, +49 5361 9-74950
Volkswagen AG / Brieffach 1721 / D-38436 Wolfsburg
http://ebsp.wob.vw.de
maik.hertha at volkswagen.de
hartmann+hertha
it (beratung / entwicklung / support)