KDE 3.1: delayed

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Fri Dec 6 09:51:36 GMT 2002

On Friday 06 December 2002 2:44 am, Dirk Mueller wrote:

|  The KDE 3.1 release has to be delayed further. Here is why.
|
|  On November 26th, we've been notified by FozZy from the "Hackademy
|  Audit Project" about security problems in KDE. They can, after user
[...]
|  Yesterday, on the targetted announcement date of KDE 3.1, Waldo and I
|  realized that while we only had audited maybe 30% of the code yet, we have
|  found enough occasions for them to be a big showstopper.
|
|  A short query on the packagers mailinglist showed that for the majority
|  there is no big pressure on having a KDE 3.1 to be released
|  according to the schedule. I'm considering a 3.1 with known security bugs
| a no-go anyway, even though we first thought that those are minor that the
| fix can wait for 3.1.1, I no longer think that this is the case.
|
|  Waldo, George, Lubos and I think that we can finish the audit by
| middle/end of next week. This however brings us in a bad position: its
| unlikely that we get many binary packages so short before christmas
| holidays, which means that KDE 3.1 would go out, if released this year,
| probably with few or none binary packages at the announcement date.

I can build packages for Linux-Mandrake 8.2 (unless someone else is
volunteering this :-)
Cooker has RC3 RPMs, and I hope Laurent can update those to RC5 when tarballs
are ready.
I have open question, though.
Is FontConfig required for KDE 3.1/Qt 3.1 build?
Or, at least, is it "recommended"?

As I needed Xr/Xc (which required recent Xrender extension), I have rebuilt
XFree86-4.2.1 with FontConfig.
Should update to XFree86 be released as well?

I am speaking here for end-user's point of view, of course building/packaging
XFree86 is out of KDE scope.
But as latest-stable XFree86 is highly recommened, and I have built it anyway
- I tend to release it. May be, I would steup project on SF to support this.

|  So, to sum up, we have two options:
|
|  a) Try to finish ASAP and try to get it out before christmas. December
|     12 could be a good tagging date.

I would vote for this.
We should not delay release to the next year.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released