Maintainership of KMail

Michael Brade brade at kde.org
Tue Dec 3 10:49:46 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 08:45, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 December 2002 15:17, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Either you're
> > willing to maintain the code (i.e. feel responsible for it, work on
> > incoming bug reports, make sure the app is ready for releases), or
> > you're just a "contributor", who makes things work but otherwise
> > doesn't feel responsible for it.
>
> I'm not sure I agree with this.
Why? Third possibility? (besides being not involved at all ;)

> As I've said before I want to be able to take a break sometimes and
> stop contributing like tomorrow I go on a 3 day Christmas party, and
> then I go to Asia for a week the next day.
>
> I also might want to work on a difficult problem that means I might be
> less active on the lists. Or maybe I have financial concerns and have
> to spend more time making money and less time contributing to KDE.
>
> Now just because I've been less active for awhile that does not mean I
> no longer feel responsible.
If you're away more than 40% of the time then you're not a maintainer (IMHO).
Especially if the app is as big as KMail. And especially if there are people
who (can) care for the app in 90% of the time.

> > In either case I don't see where "adopter" would fit into this
> > picture.
>
> Adoption is a legitimate way of becoming the maintainer of an app, I
> assert that is how I became the maintainer of KMail. I assert that
> the previous maintainer has abandoned KMail.
So you are maintainer, not adopter in the first place. Adoption is only the
way how you became maintainer---and I guess that's true for many of the
current maintainers in KDE. In other words I don't see why the word "adopter"
has to be in an about box anywhere in KDE, in fact, I'd object to this
becoming the case.

--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience