Issue with acinclude.m4.in's $kde_widgetdir and uic

Dan Armak danarmak at gentoo.org
Mon Aug 26 12:02:09 BST 2002

Hello,

admin/acinclude.m4.in sets kde_widgetdir=$libdir/kde3/plugins/designer, where
libdir=$exec_prefix/lib (=$prefix/lib).

This is correct as far as it goes. However, typical makefiles run uic -L
$kde_widgetdir. When install prefix != kdelibs directory, kdewidgets.so isn't
found in this -L path which results in errors like this:

-----------
removedlg.cpp: In constructor `RemoveDlg::RemoveDlg(QWidget*, const char*,
   bool, unsigned int)':
removedlg.cpp:35: invalid use of undefined type `struct KListBox'
removedlg.h:17: forward declaration of `struct KListBox'
removedlg.cpp:36: invalid use of undefined type `struct KListBox'
removedlg.h:17: forward declaration of `struct KListBox'
removedlg.cpp:37: invalid use of undefined type `struct KListBox'
removedlg.h:17: forward declaration of `struct KListBox'
removedlg.cpp:38: incomplete type `KListBox' does not have member `Extended'
removedlg.cpp:39: no matching function for call to
`QWhatsThis::add(KListBox*&,
   QString)'
/usr/qt/3/include/qwhatsthis.h:61: candidates are: static void
   QWhatsThis::add(QWidget*, const QString&)
removedlg.cpp:41: no matching function for call to `QGridLayout::addWidget(
   KListBox*&, int, int)'
/usr/qt/3/include/qlayout.h:323: candidates are: void
   QGridLayout::addWidget(QWidget*, int, int, int = 0)
-----------

This only happens when ~/.qt/qtrc doesn't contain the right
$kdelibsdir/lib/kde3/plugins/designer path in kdeAddedLibraryPaths value,
[KDE] section. I'm not sure app is in charge of putting it there, but running
kde should do it. In any case, when a Gentoo system is being built, qtrc
doesn't even exist yet and so this error occurs. And since we use a sandbox
for building apps, we can't automate putting a working qtrc in ~, at least
not without breaking our guidelines.

So - is there anything that can or should be done about this from the makefile
etc. pov? I'm not too familiar with the auto* build system, so I don't know
if you'll consider this a bug to be fixed. Right now I'm just doing export
kde_widgetdir=<correct value> before building and everything works fine.

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)