bugs.kde.org -> bugzilla??

Klaas Freitag freitag at suse.de
Mon Aug 19 09:22:58 BST 2002

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Stephan Kulow wrote:

Hi,

> On Sunday 18 August 2002 13:38, Stephan Binner wrote:
> > On Sunday 18 August 2002 13:05, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > >   the bug system isn't really maintained as it is.
> > > from my look at bugzilla, it seems to solve all this.
> >
> > This means you volunteer to maintain it?
> Well, I volunteer to set it up and do the migration. For problems that
> come up with bugzilla itself, I hope, the bugzilla developers will help me :)

Well, I will volunteer to help where I can with problems with bugzilla. I think
it is a very good idea to switch to bugzilla. Bugprocessing is a very complex
thing and IMHO Bugzilla is quite feature rich and in production on many sites.

The code of bugzilla is not in very nice perl, indeed. That means that putative
small changes to the bugzilla functionality turn out to be quite lot of (ugly)
work. That was also true for changes to the gui, but a few weeks ago, Bugzilla
2.16 was released which brought code cleanups and, and that is most important,
the gui fully customizable using templates.

IMHO it is a good approach to strip the query page to have  a subset of the
offered search options. I never realised who should and _wants_ to use the
'boolean chart' stuff.

There are some things which must be decided before the migration to bugzilla
starts. Bugzilla is organised in Products, Products have components. Versions
are the attribute of the Product while components have people who have to care
for them, the 'initial owner' which has to be defined. The initial owner takes
care of the bug if the poster of the bug does not provide an assignee.

Furthermore Bugzilla has a quite powerfull permission system. There are Groups
for products and more general bugs. For example, there could be a permission
Group 'can read and security bugs'. For Products, groups can also be defined,
like 'khtml product group' as long as kthml is a product. All defined groups can
be assigned to people, even automatically using regexps. That restricts the bug
visibility.

The product, component and permission system must be decided before we start
to migrate.

Regards,

Klaas

--
  Wenn du einen Schneck behauchst                          Klaas Freitag
  Schrumpft er ins Gehaeuse,               *        mail freitag at suse.de