kde and garbage collectors

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at kde.org
Thu Aug 15 22:03:13 BST 2002

Hi

I plan to write a few kate plugins, which use third party libraries using the
boehm garbace collector. I noticed a small problem, while investigating what
needs to be done.

I noticed that that garbage collector only works, if the application itself is
linked against libgc. If only the dlopened library is linked against libgc,
it causes a crash. :((

There are two ways, how kate are started:
1) the kate binary
2) kdeinit.

In the first case linking against libgc would be no problem. In the second it
is a littlebit different, since kate is dlopened :(

I don't know, but I think it could be interesting for third party applications
too, to be able to use a gc. Therefor my question. Would it be a big problem
if kdeinit is linked against libgc, on systems, where libgc exists ?

We link against libpthread too, although hardly anyone uses it.

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger