drawing in Qt3 seems to have become incredible slow :-(

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Aug 10 18:35:54 BST 2002

On Saturday 10 August 2002 11:41, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> If the Qt1 app window becomes visible (if it was hidden behind another
> window), it is *immediately* ready, I don't see the redrawing.

I just verified on the TrollTech website - Qt 1 didn't have custom widget
styles. My bet is that the addition of those in Qt 2.x made things much
slower wrt redrawing.

However,

> This makes Qt3/KDE 3 app feel really slow. I can't understand how people
> can claim that KDE3 has become snappier than KDE 2. KDE 2 was ok on this
> box, KDE 3 feels worse :-(

This seems to contradict this. Looking over the changes between Qt 2 and Qt 3
I see less differences that can affect drawing performance.

Do you have the problem only on an all-KDE desktop, or also when running a
single Qt-only app under twm? (To exclude apps like kwin, klipper, memory
overhead and kdelibs)

Martijn