Source Compatability and DCOP

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Thu Aug 8 08:08:09 BST 2002

On Thursday 08 August 2002 16:07, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

> On Thursday 08 August 2002 12:36 am, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Cornelius is correct, this DCOP interface is not part of an API
> > that we should remain compatible with.
>
> Ummm the fact that it was/is a public API makes it something that
> should keep compatability.  The private: keyword is there for a
> reason.  I guess I wonder why it was publicly made available when
> it was not suppose to be used.
>
> I understand that KAB has had some false starts and its now really
> takeing shape of something remarkable, but the chance to break
> things was last release, not in a minor release.
>
> My goal here is just to keep 3.0 software from not breaking until
> KDE 4.

I never promised compatibility would be maintained for these DCOP
APIs. It was an error to expect the DCOP APIs to be stable and
permanent without consulting the package maintainer.

Except for KPilot I feel no responsibility to fix code that relies on
the entryDict. You can argue with me if you like, but I suggest it
would be more productive to fix the broken code.

Don.