Source Compatability and DCOP

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.com
Wed Aug 7 22:42:53 BST 2002

Le Mercredi 07 Août 2002 21:31, Cornelius Schumacher a écrit :
> > DCOP interfaces are part of the API and MUST remain compatible.
>
> I don't think this is true in this case. The KAddressbook DCOP interface
> header file isn't installed to the system and it uses private classes
> of KAddressbook. This can't be part of the API we have to be compatible
> to.

But apart from formal requirements,  isn't it obvious that everything that was
once *exposed* to users -whatever the exposure mechanism actually is- should
be maintained at all cost between major releases ?

Backward compatibility regarding DCOP is just what makes the difference
between a clever communication protocol and a buzz word.

G.