Source Compatability and DCOP

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Aug 7 16:23:35 BST 2002

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 16:40, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> 	I noticed KAddressbook changed its dcop interface in a Source Incompatible
> manner.  This i guess broke KPilot, but worse it seems to have broken a few
> scripts I had done for a client for adding information to their addressbook
> from my TWIG web mail interface.
>
> 	Is there a policy on breaking DCOP interfaces on sub releases?  Is the
> fact that KAddressbook is not in kdelibs make it okay to change on
> subreleases? Is it too late to fix this problem?

The problem with KAddressbooks DCOP interface was that it exposed internal
data structures. These were completely changed for 3.1, so there is no real
way back.

Which DCOP calls did you exactly use? Perhaps there still is a chance to fix
the problem.

As far as I know there is no policy on DCOP interfaces, perhaps we really need
one. It might also help, if DCOP interfaces would support some kind of
versioning.