KDE Jabber Library

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sun Aug 4 18:51:05 BST 2002

On Sunday 04 August 2002 18:31, Neil Stevens wrote:
> Oh, and I'm not suggesting that this replace Kopete or KMail or whatnot.
> I'm suggesting that this library be available for use by applications for
> message passing needs.   Sure, it *could* use a user's existing jabber
> servers if desired, but mostly this would be for users an additional
> service.

Well, I already showed my worries regarding duplication of code and features
(contact list handling, address book handling), the lack of interoperability
with existing protocols.

And if Jabber was a completely different solution than Kopete then I could
think of it as an addition. But Jabber is a subset of Kopete, so Kopete
offers everything that Jabber offers plus the above advantages (and many more
when used as a chat client).

It centralizes all code, and that can't be bad.

Martijn