extremetech.com article

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Tue Apr 30 12:44:42 BST 2002

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 12:35, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 April 2002 12:09, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:57:30AM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > > http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3428,a=26115,00.asp
> > >
> > > "Operating as root user for the first time in KDE, you should open the
> > > file manager and browse around. Because you are essentially in super-user
> > > mode, be very careful not to modify anything. Look but don't touch. This
> > > will eliminate a potential KDE glitch that might cause the file manager
> > > window to flicker when accessing it from a user account."
> > >
> > > What is he talking about ? Anyone an idea what is going on there that the
> > > user should work as root in KDE first before doing anything else on his
> > > new system ?
> >
> > Why didn't you ask the author ?
> Because he says there is a problem. What should I have asked ? Why it occurs
> for him or what ? he describes the bug that he experiences, so a verification
> for any known problems with flickering should be first before I write him to
> not write such things.

There's one known bug which people might refer to as "flickering", which is
in fact an infinite loop in QIconView's layout algorithms, so the iconview
becomes completely unresponsive. It's very hard to reproduce this bug, which
is why I didn't manage to fix it or report it yet.

But for sure using KDE as root first will not help for that bug.
The best workaround is to open konq on another directory, resize the window,
and "save view profile", so that the exact size that produces the infinite-layout
bug isn't used anymore when opening a new window.

David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/