Things needed (was: Re: Do we really need Korn ?)

Scott Wheeler scott at slackorama.net
Sun Apr 28 23:08:20 BST 2002

On Sunday 28 April 2002 04:39 pm, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> Nobody wanted to remove it, Christian. I don't know why you insist on
> somebody wanting to do that :)

Heh.  ;-)  And no, I wasn't suggesting removing Korn, but there have been some
interface problems mentioned in this thread and some Korn vs. KBiff, so I
thought it a good time to mention some of the technical issues too.

> Anyway, given the code for korn and kbiff is there plus the new classes and
> stuff in Qt, it shouldn't be too hard for a newbie programmer to write a
> simple and small mailchecker app or improve korn/kbiff. Everyone is free to
> do that (yes, yes, do-it-yourself, I know, but my time is currently planned
> out)

Well, I have thought about doing this, but my time too is pretty planned out
for the next while.  As for the issues that CT mentioned, yes, I understand
why these don't use the new implementations, but this does cause some
problems that would be nice to have resolved (adding new protocols and asych
IO).

So here's a question -- If someone (possibly me) were to start work on this,
where should that work be done?  I prefer KBiff, but I don't know how Kurt
feels about these changes.  Should a new app using the new features of KDE be
created?  Or should one of the old apps be updated?  If so, which one?

Things I would like to see:

*) The ability to use "network" KMail settings
*) DCOP calls to KMail (they're much faster)
*) Work with existing KDE protocol implementations
*) If Korn is used, an interface redesign

Other features might be nice, but that's for a different thread.

Cheers!

-Scott