Dollar expansion (Was: Registry editor)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Apr 28 15:48:51 BST 2002

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 04:18:21PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> Add a [$b] to allow expanding backticks as in
>
> Name[$be]=`grep "^${USER}:" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f5`
>
> ?

i'd prefer the posix shell $(command) syntax. backticks have some nasty
quotation implications.

> Thinking of this a bit more... I think there's a small security issue with
> Waldo's new options.

you're paranoid ... :)

> Waldo, suppose a sysadmin put the following in a config file in the
> global $KDEDIR:
>
> Hostname[$ie]=$HOSTNAME

why should this be a risk? the user can hurt himself only.
this would be only a problem for setuid programs, but a) a sysadmin
who blindly trust user-supplied data in a setuid program should be
killed and b) kdelibs does not support setuid progs anyway.

greetings

The problem with making software idiot-proof is that idiots are so clever.