Usability of using icons to illustrate DnD

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Apr 27 19:58:19 BST 2002

On Saturday 27 April 2002 19:06, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

if DnD would use 16x16 icons, that would be a lot less annoying; and yes, on
the right bottom of the cursor like the DnD of text gets symbolized. Please
investigage, PLEASE !!! (it annoys the hell out of me since I noticed when
you move an image file in preview mode, you can't see *anywhere* where you're
going to drop it.

Ralf

> Hello
>
> This little rant is prompted by a recent change in KMail that makes so that
> DnD operations on messages doesn't use the default grey rectangle anymore,
> but a suggestive icon.
>
> My pet peeve with this new little feature (and I believe it extends to all
> DnD operations in KDE) is that the suggestive icon gets centered to the
> mouse pointer. This is annoying because this makes very difficult to target
> tiny drop zones. The pointing pin of the cursor arrow (associated with a
> moving mouse) is in the middle of the suggestive icon and this makes it
> difficult to point with.
>
> It should be better, IMHO, if the icon would be displaced to the right-down
> of the cursor (for a left to right language) or to the left-down (for a
> right to left language). Is there any reason agains this improvement? If
> not, is it OK for me to investigate it (I believe, without looking, that
> I'd have to look into Qt) ?
>
> Thanks
>
> CT

Ralf Nolden