encrypted file integration into KDE

Roberto Alsina ralsina at kde.org
Sat Apr 27 18:46:49 BST 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, George Staikos wrote:

[snip, so we agree on the basics, good :-]

> > Then Konqueror can open the encrypted file using the above data, the
> > api to decrypt should look pretty much like KTar, only with plugins for
> > algos?
>
>    Yes.  That part as you see is easy.  The hard part is coming up with a
> flexible, reusable, appropriate crypto backend.  Something that won't confuse
> the user too much, but is safe and powerful, follows KDE development models,
> and is light.

A candidate: libmcrypt

http://mcrypt.hellug.gr/

Uses standard algorithms (3DES, IDEA, etc, has a lot of them)

There is already a CLI tool using it, so you could open the files outside
of KDE (that is a must).

There is a library form, so it can be called from KDE.

License is lgpl, so we can use it or tune it.

It seems to be under active development (ie: not stagnant)

>    My point is that we can't use a library like OpenSSL or Crypto++ or foobar
> because they are too heavy for something that could permeate throughout KDE
> applications.  However we don't want to have random crypto algorithms strewn
> throughout CVS either.  We need something structured.  We see the problem
> already happening in kdecore/kmdcodecs.

You are correct. OTOH, a slow crypto is not too terrible, IMVVVHO

>    In some cases, as I said above, it will be sufficient to have a good test
> bucket to compare against reference implementations.  The reviewing part
> comes more when things like password transformations, random data, etc are
> used.  These can't be tested against a predefined bucket. :)

Kinda by definition ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina at kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
I would like to believe in God [..]. But I just believe in Billy Wilder.