Things needed (was: Re: Do we really need Korn ?)

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sat Apr 27 14:05:08 BST 2002

On Saturday, 27 April 2002 05:29, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> set up their machine. Korn just allows to set your mailbox, but that's it.
> It requires a backend that fetches the mail, right ?

No, it checks mail on pretty much every type of protocol: local mbox (any!
mbox file, so if you have some procmail filter, you can install many korn
monitors on many local mbox files that receive the procmailed messages) pop,
imap, qmail and even nntp. Or you can simultaneously spool your local and
remote accounts, or even many different (user) accounts (multiple monitoring)

> So, anyway, as I have
> kmail running all the time,

I don't, and don't want to.

OK, I stop here. My point is, usage patterns are different and many computer
users are accustomed with using mail monitoring tools.

I agree that we should keep in the KDE main distributed tarball only the libs
and the essential of kdebase (+eventually kmail) and have all other apps
distributed independently, but as long as the tarball distribution stays as
it is now, I believe korn should stay in.

> there. On the other hand, if Korn could set up an automatic mailfetching
> for me, that'd be fine as well. I think that's the point around the
> discussion.

Instead of building yet another tool in kmail, I'd rather prefer to see kmail
better integrated with korn. There's little to automatize in account setups
(the strong point of korn is multiple monitoring! How to do that
automatically?) but anybody who has an idea, the code is there.

> So, if someone with some experience there and some time would
> take care of that and integrate faxviewing and faxreceiving into a
> faxprogram (as well as sending), that would be cool. A daemon-like
> tray-applet for the receiving would be nice as well.

Hah! The infrastructure is already there, in korn. I believe that with a bit
of X10 we can even include snail-mail monitoring in korn :-)

CT