configure & make strangeness (Re: Missing file from kdelibs/dcop)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Apr 25 10:24:56 BST 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 12:08:54PM +0300, Nick Katsamas wrote:
> dcopclient.cpp:1841: dcopclient.moc: No such file or directory
> make[3]: *** [libDCOP_la.all_cpp.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-3.0/dcop'
>
> If I do "cd dcop ; make dcopclient.moc " then it's ok.

the usual answer here is "make cvs-clean and redo the whole shit".
still, i'm wondering, what the reason is. in my case,, the the *dir
assignments in the Makefile contained absolute path specifications
instead of relative ones.
a) why does make ignore dependencies with absolute paths?
b) why does configure create absolute paths sometimes?

greetings

The problem with making software idiot-proof is that idiots are so clever.