Default shortcuts for KDE and Gnome

Sarang Lakare sarang at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 24 15:29:19 BST 2002

Just a thought: Is there any proposal to standardize on the config file
directories? I really like the way KDE handles it. GNOME puts tons of files
in the home directory. Wouldn't it be nice if both KDE and GNOME and others
standardize on a directory structure.. something like:

~/.setup
~/.setup/share
~/.setup/share/apps/<each app>/<app specific files>
~/.setup/share/config/<each app>/<config files for app>

This would be similar to what KDE has right now but with a few modifications.
.setup will replace .kde and under config, add application name directory and
then all config files for that application. The current config directory has
all config files in one directory, which IMHO is a mess.

If this kind of a structure is standardized, then it becomes really simple to
share other files.

Regards,
Sarang

On Wednesday 24 April 2002 9:12 am, Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> What would you guys think of deciding on a "standard shortcuts file"
> convention between KDE and Gnome?  Our default shortcuts are saved to
> $KDEHOME/share/config/kdeglobals, but if we were to use a separate file
> that could be accessed by both desktop environments, then applications from
> either camp could share the same standard shortcuts.
>
> Is this a crackpot idea?  If not, should I write up a proposal to
> freedesktop.org or to somewhere else?
>
> Cheers,
> Ellis

Sarang Lakare
mailto:sarang at users#sourceforge.net
web:http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~lsarang/linux
!!Join the fight for freedom - Go GNU/Linux!!