FontInstaller (Was: Gnome Article on UI Design on /.)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Apr 24 19:55:32 BST 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 11:36 pm, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> On a separate note: Many newbie users will hardly understand the
> distinction between the 2 font modules we already have (Appearance -> Fonts
> and System -> Font Installer). I'd rather think of a way how we could get
> rid of one of them (preferably the first one).

The first one selects fonts the other one installs fonts. I don't think those
two should be combined. (Although I considered it)

I want to add a "Add Fonts" button to the font-selection dialog that would
start the font installer. (I had hoped to be able to use KService for that
since the font installer may not always be present.)

> Maybe we should make the Base Mode as free as possible from directory
> listings. But please keep them for the Advanced Mode. If anybody wouldn't
> want to see them there (s)he can always switch to Base Mode.

I understand now why you would like to have a directory listing in there...
Font-CD with 500 fonts, right?

Cheers,
Waldo