RFC: simplification in configuration dialogs dvlpt

nicolas.hadacek at free.fr nicolas.hadacek at free.fr
Wed Apr 24 08:09:34 BST 2002

 Le Mercredi 24 Avril 2002 00:28, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On April 24, 2002 03:00 pm, nicolas.hadacek at free.fr wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as promised here is my proposition for some code simplification
> > for all configuration UI in KDE. The approach is similar to what KAction
> > achieved.
>
> interesting.
>
> how does it integrate with Designer (or other RAD-type tools)?

well I do not use such tools but KUIConfig does not create widgets for you so
I think it is quite orthogonal to Designer use.

> how do you manage layout specifics? e.g. if i have a bunch of radio buttons
> that i want in a 3x3 grid , is that posible with this or would i need to
> hand code that and then associate it?

it has nothing to do with layout of widgets (this is the tedious/difficult
part of configuration GUI and this can not be automated imho ; in short Tackat
cannot be automated :)

> how do you add QWhatsThis / QTooltip info to widgets?

this is not implemented in the current version but will be very simple to do.

> how do you create child/parent relationships between control widgets, such
> as "when this checkbox is checked, this slider is enabled. when it is
> unchecked, it is disabled"?

this is up to the programmer : no change here.

> i only gave the header a brief scan, so apologies in advance if the answers
> are all bleedingly obvious given a thorough understanding of the classes
> involved.

I am here to explain and learn from comments :)

cu,
Nicolas