Fwd: Truncated license.

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Tue Apr 23 21:27:12 BST 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 17:14, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:

Fixed for KDevelop in the branch version (shipped as 2.1 -> to be shipped with
KDE 3.0.1 as 2.1.1) and in HEAD. New generated applications will contain that
license (if the GNU files are checked including the gpl license of course).

Do we need to update the COPYING files in the KDE CVS modules, too ? I just
looked at kdelibs and kdevelop itself where the same file is shipped as what
was produced in kdevelop until now. It seems the license file is still the
same we used to have in 96 and later.

Ralf

> Hi,
>
> does anybody know anything about this?
>
> Kalle

> Subject: Truncated license.
> Date: Today 16.28.08
> From: Divide by Zero <divide at thepentagon.com>
> To: kalle at kde.org
>
> When I was trying to make a project on savannah.gnu.org for my Noatun
> plugin, Lyrik, I submitted my code for review. They pointed out that the
> GPL License in the COPYING file is truncated. Since KDevelop gave me this
> file from the template, I examined the other COPYING files throughout the
> KDE distribution. It seems that all these files contain the truncated
> License, and, as you can read below, it is a mistake that must be
> corrected.
> They asked me to talk to the KDE team about fixing it, so I am forwarding
> you the original discussion.
> Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Lyrik
> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:03:06 +0200
> From: Loic Dachary <loic at gnu.org>
> To: Divide by Zero <divide at thepentagon.com>
> Cc: savannah-hackers at gnu.org
>
> Divide by Zero writes:
>  > On sob 20. kwiecieƱ 2002 09:34, Loic Dachary wrote:
>  > >        I see that you've accidentaly truncated the GNU GPL (as found
>  > > at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt) in the COPYING file you
>  > > distribute with your software. The "How to Apply These Terms to Your
>  > > New Programs" section displayed below is missing.
>  >
>  > Whole KDE is distributed with the License `accidentaly truncated', ie.
>  > without this section. Is this really an integral part of the License, or
>  > only an optional addendum?
>
> 	It is an integral part. And whenever you use the GNU GPL you must
> use it as-is, without any modifications. If KDE is distributed with a
> truncated GNU GPL, it's a mistake. Could you talk to them to fix this ?
> 	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOmitPreamble
> 	A++,

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org