File copying dialog

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Tue Apr 23 19:15:50 BST 2002

#if Chris Howells

> On Tuesday 23 April 2002 5:13 pm, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > I haven't seen anyone having problems with the IE download dialog, which
> > is what this most closely resembles. If you can give a more detailed
> > critique than saying it's cluttered and that you find it difficult to
> > use, perhaps we can change it for the better.
>
> Well, I just don't think it's all that pretty. But that's not the main
> problem.

Pretty interface != good interface. See the BMW 7 series. Minimalist
interface, crappy usability.

> IMHO it's just not obvious what "Open File" and "Open Location" do, for
> reason described in the original mail.

Quoting original mail:

> There's also a "Open File" (surely that's what I'm trying to do by
> copying/downloading the file?), and an "Open Location" button (what on earth
> does that do?)

Well, I knew what they both meant when I first saw them. You didn't give
a reason why either of them are not obvious - you just said that you
misunderstood 'Open File'. Perhaps you can give an example of better
wording or design ?

Rik