KDirStat in KDE-utils - Was: Re: Application duplication

Stefan Hundhammer sh at suse.de
Tue Apr 23 15:20:38 BST 2002

Hi everybody!

Tackat just told me you were discussing this here. Sorry for opening a new
thread on this subject, but I missed the start.

I am the author of KDirStat (see http://kdirstat.sourceforge.net/ - it's a
graphical "du" for KDE).

I understand you are talking about adding this to the KDE-utils distribution.
This is perfectly fine by me, but I'd like to avoid some kinds of (technical)
trouble along the way.

Currently, KDirStat is a separate OSS project on SourceForge - with its own
CVS, mailing list, home page and everything. I release new versions when I
have the time to do so - I can stick to my own schedule (and go motorbiking
or swimming in the summer when the weather is fine).

I have been somewhat reluctant to take any initiative to get this into the
official KDE distribution so far: I'd rather avoid having to compile my own
KDE from CVS every night. I definitely need a rock-solid KDE to work with - I
use it as my main desktop, KMail is my mail client of choice, Konqueror is my
standard browser etc.

I'd also like to make sure my app compiles on my machine when I have time to
work on it, regardless on new versions of autoconf/automake/libtool or KDE
base libs.

Even worse, I am a member of the SuSE YaST2 development team which makes me
pretty much unavailable for my private pet project KDirStat when a new SuSE
distro is about to be released.

Given all those restraints, does any of you see a chance to migrate KDirStat
to the KDE CVS?

Is there anybody willing to provide support, maybe even (part-) maintainership
for issues not directly related with the app, but with the build environment,
KDE libs etc.?

My plans for the future of KDirStat include:

- Re-implement the treemap part - see
	http://qtreemap.sourceforge.net/
	http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

- Integrate the treemap view with the tree view

- Make it a KPart.

- Add some minor features like a "disk free" display.
  I understand this was what started this discussion in the first place.

- Some minor issues as described in the TODO file in the KDirStat distribution

Adding the features of "kdiskfree" to KDirStat should be fairly easy. OTOH
adding all that directory-reading, tree navigation, cleanup facilitiest etc.
from KDirStat into some other application is a major project.

CU
--
Stefan Hundhammer <sh at suse.de>                Penguin by conviction.
SuSE Labs