Gnome Article on UI Design on /.

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Tue Apr 23 15:08:27 BST 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 03:47:39PM +0200, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 03:03:37PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > >
> > > i'm very much in favor of such thing.
> > Besides the fact that I am not; it kind of overshoots the target by 200%
> > since we want to limit the configurability of software, adding a not-so
> > userfriendly interface to the config options does not limit the developer
> > in making up configuration options.
>
> I'd really have to disagree here. KDE will not make it if it can not be
> applied without a lot of pain to other peoples way of working. If it forces
> you to work in a certain way then KDE imo will begin to suck immensely.
> I don't really wish to be dumbed down to the lowest denominator.

Which seems to be a common argument; I do _not_ say we should all work the same,
this is in fact the black and white view that the originally quoted /. article
points to. There are far too many config options, that is what is wrong.
Allowing the addition of options while not adding a GUI option is not that much
better, but adding a GUI for options that have not been added to the GUI is
just silly.

> > I have not yet seen a auto-generated userinterface that is understandable
> > without a lot of documentation. kdcop is a good example of where the mixing
> > of datatypes with user input does not work.
>
> Agreed. It will be difficult to get it right, but in the end it
> will save devels time (GUI options are annoying to have to write)
> and remove confusion in the preferences by allowing much more to
> become advanced options.
>
> Earlier on in the thread a "more >>" button was discussed. It would
s/button/tab/

--
Thomas Zander                                            zander at earthling.net