Gnome Article on UI Design on /.

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Apr 23 13:30:15 BST 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 12:13:05PM +0200, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> Which reminds me. I'd agree here but for one thing, windows has a
> nice gui regedit program. How about adding one to KDE but going one
> step better? - by adding comments to all the configure options.

i'm very much in favor of such thing.
but i'd formalize the comments, so they can be parsed and used for
automatically generating a frontend. every field would have a type (int,
float, string, bool, enum, file, url, font, color, etc...). for enums
the possible values (words) would be listed; for numerical values a
valid range, etc.  the default would be documented as well.
you may look at kdm/kfrontend/genkdmconf.c for something remotely
related.

greetings

The problem with making software idiot-proof is that idiots are so clever.