Task orientation and mimetypes

aleXXX alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Mon Apr 22 22:15:32 BST 2002

On Monday 22 April 2002 10:14, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> - if a program like pixie gets installed afterwards, the mime-type usually
> changes to that program (windows-like). I would say it would be ok to leave
> the former "standard" kde application in the K menu as a choice, so not
> deactivating an application if another application is installed for the
> given mime-type.

So old "secondary" apps will stay hidden, while new ones will appear ?
I don't think this is a good idea.

> -if the mime-types get edited, why not enable the user to choose to display
> the assigned applications one by one in the k menu ? I mean, a checkbox in
> front of every listed application would give the user the choice to
> enable/disable the application.

This sounds quite complicated ( -> overconfigurability), who will do this ?
Most users stay with the defaults, nobody will go through all apps to see
which are enabled and which are not.
And don't we have already a menu editor ?

Bye
Alex