FontInstaller (Was: Gnome Article on UI Design on /.)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Apr 22 21:13:15 BST 2002

On Monday 22 April 2002 12:45 pm, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Am Montag, 22. April 2002 21:25 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> > What is the point of the advanced GUI? I mean, there is something to say
> > for being able to group your fonts but in the font-dialog they are all
> > thrown together anyway. Why would you care about where the font is
> > stored?
>
> In the Advanced Mode (which was originally the default) you can create
> extra subdirs and decide where the font is actually stored. The "throw
> together mode" was added on special request because some people found the
> original "Adobe Type Manager" like GUI to complex.
>
> Font grouping/management was planned for the stand-alone version, AFAIK.
>
> Thomas

I see.. I was thinking about something like this then (see attachment)

You can disable/enable individual fonts with the disable/enable buttons and
you can save the enabled/disabled state into a profile with the "Save
profile..." button. With the combobox you can select such a profile.

The "Advanced mode" checkbox changes the listview between a flat listview and
a treeview with the different directories.

Hm.. I guess the advanced mode needs to have a "make directory" button as well
then and some way to move fonts from one dir to another. Would ctrl-x /
ctrl-v suffice for that? That would be a rather hidden option since a control
module doesn't have a menu.

Cheers,
Waldo