Gnome Article on UI Design on /.

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Apr 22 19:47:04 BST 2002

On Monday 22 April 2002 05:41 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> why do you think it is hard to side with a "single idea"? probably because
> different people work in vastly diferent ways/methods/environments. so you
> end up with a large chunk of people who need/want it something one way, and
> a large chunk who want it another. you can either have a niche product,
> cripple the interface for many users, or be configurable.

I think the problem is that many features are being added without taking the
big picture into account, without thinking of the feature in terms of "task".

I am currently looking into kcmfontinst and one the things that puzzles me is
that you can choose whether to delete a font or to move it to /tmp. This is a
typical example of a bad feature. I don't want to move a font to /tmp. I can
hardly imagine anyone else would. Maybe people want to temporary disable a
font (why?) and you could implement that by moving the font to /tmp, but the
feature to move the font to /tmp is pretty silly. If I want to move files
around I use konqueror.

Cheers,
Waldo