Task orientation and mimetypes

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Mon Apr 22 09:14:28 BST 2002

On Samstag, 20. April 2002 15:48, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Hmm?  Using the K menu is for starting applications. I am not quite sure
> what that has to do with documents which are opened from konqueror.  The
> document based approuch is fully implemented in konq; using mime you always
> have the same editor when you click on a certain filetype.

THOMAS !!! You just brought up a very very good idea I think!

We have the mime-type based apporach for opening files from konqueror or the
desktop that opens that application that is set for this mime-type. On the
other hand, the menu editor allows to "deactivate" links in the k menu.

How about the following mechanism that would allow the user to still change
things:

- for the base KDE installation, the menus in the K menu only offer the
applications that are set as the standard application for opening a given
mime-type. In the case where embedded parts in konqueror are used, take the
topmost single application assigned.
- deactivate all other choices in the k menu. The user can reenable those
programs if he likes to.
- if a program like pixie gets installed afterwards, the mime-type usually
changes to that program (windows-like). I would say it would be ok to leave
the former "standard" kde application in the K menu as a choice, so not
deactivating an application if another application is installed for the given
mime-type.
-if the mime-types get edited, why not enable the user to choose to display
the assigned applications one by one in the k menu ? I mean, a checkbox in
front of every listed application would give the user the choice to
enable/disable the application.

Just food for thought to make the k-menu more task-oriented (which means,
mime-oriented would be a good start for offering choice).
Any ideas ?

Ralf
Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org