Gnome Article on UI Design on /.

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Apr 21 20:04:06 BST 2002

On Sonntag, 21. April 2002 20:29, Shawn Gordon wrote:

> I know I didn't answer anything here, but rather raised more questions,
> which have likely been considered, but my opinion is that the goals for KDE
> 3.1 and beyond need to be thought out a bit more.
>
> Shawn

My words: think about working with other people on *one* promising application
for one task instead of writing another one and moving it into
kdebase/network/multimedia.

As far as distro's go: My view is that what we provide by our code, that is
what we can directly influence. If a distro thinks those and those apps on
apps.kde.com/fm etc. are good for the user and the system and they include
it, fine (this is where SuSE, Mandrake etc. are better than Lycoris because
these programs are on the CD's and you *can* install them without a problem.
Wether those get installed by default or not is another question). What I
mean by "KDE Distribution" is barely what gets shipped in the tarball that
goes to the packagers on a KDE release. SuSE only customizes those with a new
distribution that comes out, KDE releases get packaged (more or less) like
they are.

So, bottom line is what I think should be done (emphazize on *think* not
recommend or anything else, I just want to contribute to the discussion) is:
- don't run kappfinder automatically but let the user do it. A graphical
rewrite that would check for the programs and lists them in a window with
checkboxes where the user could choose: "yes, add this (editor, player,
terminal-emulator etc) to the K Menu" would allow the user to take control
over kappfinder a lot more than it is since the KDE 1.x days when you had to
run it to fill up the K menu with some apps where KDE didn't have one by
itself (still this situation with Gimp for example). This leaves the K menu a
lot cleaner by a default compile and installation.

- the editors: remove kedit as already discussed. It doesn't share any good
code and kwrite is a good substitute as it is already used as a fileviewer
part in konqueror.

- the CD burning apps developers: please organize yourself in an IRC meeting
and discuss pro's and con's, get into one team and write the best CD burning
app ever that is following the KDE style guidelines, easy and intuitive to
use for normal tasks like backups or burning CD images. Add audio-cd-burning,
dvd burning etc, whatever is possible so it gets usable for simple and
complex tasks. Also things like dragging a folder from Konqueror to a
CD-burner Icon on the desktop (e.g. with a CD-RW) should be possible so the
context menu offers to copy the folder on the CD by burning it.

(again: no insulting intended but flames requested)

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org