Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 23:34:16 BST 2002

On April 20, 2002 18:25, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> >   Maybe we should ship the best one or two, and then provide a KDE
> > appfinder or something like that, perhaps interfaced through
> > apps.kde.com, so that people can download alternatives from a centralised
> > place.  Since it provides a local listing of apps that KDE developers may
> > recommend, it will be almost as easy as shipping the apps I think, but
> > without the big download times.
>
> I don't want to ship "the best one or two" but the rest sounds fine. I
> think _all_ applications should be packaged individually and then having
> some sort of appfinder that can install additional apps sounds fine. I

   Many people ask for that.  I can definitely see that point of view too.
Perhaps a tool could be made to still install things in groups for users too.
So a user could ask for the "KDE Multimedia Packages" and it would
list/install them all.

> would like to see that integrated with the distro-installers though because
> it would be strange to download an app from apps.kde.com when you also have
> it on the CD next to you.

  Yes I forgot to mention that in my email.  I was thinking that an html file
would be ideal because it could easily be editted by a distro to point to
files on their CD.

> I asked Ralf "What is the core distrubtion" but didn't get any response to
> that, so I would like to consider "kdelibs+kdebase" the core distribution.
> That should constitute the "Naked desktop" (kdenude.rpm >:-), everyhting
> else should then go into individual binary packages. The distributors can
> then decide for themselves what they want to put in their "default"
> installation.
>
> I'm inclined to think that we should move kate and konsole (any others?)
> out of kdebase then. (And into kdeutils or so)

   Well I agree with the base distribution as kdelibs + kdebase, but I think
we could leave konsole and kate in there.  Well at least the kate part.
They're both integral parts of konqueror too (especially katepart).  This is
totally debatable of course.