kdeaddons documentation

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 23:35:24 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 02:01 pm, Lauri Watts wrote:
> And I don't mean to be dismissive, I do understand what you want to do.
>
> At the moment, it's a problem anyway, there's no "Help -> Plugins" menu for
> Konqueror (and it's unfortunately not a cut and paste issue) and I'm fairly
> sure you can tell me that it's pretty difficult to add one sensibly to
> Noatun.
>
> The kicker applets, at least, ought to be able to provide one on their RMB
> menu, although I don't think many do, and they could easily stand to be
> rearranged. The kfile ones are reasonably self explanatory, or could be
> covered with "What's This" help and some good tooltips.
>
> The remaining problem is the big one: how on earth to make the
> documentation that is there available to the users, primarily for the kate
> and konqueror plugins, which often offer enough functionality to need some
> documentation.

It should be possible to store a list of "ApplicationXYZ"-plugins in ksycoca,
together with a link/reference to a documentation file for each plugin. (The
plugin should mention that in its .desktop file) That information could then
be used by e.g. kio-help or so to merge-in the plugin-documentation in the
documentation of that application.

This assumes that:
* at least the table of contents is dynamically generated by kio-help
* the plugin-documentation is in a file of its own
* all plugins have .desktop files.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com