RTLD_GLOBAL again (was Re: kdeutils/kregexpeditor/test)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 22:39:14 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 12:37 pm, Michael Matz wrote:
> Still, the problem remains, that RTLD_LOCAL is not the ideal.  We could
> start to make the probability of having that problem smaller.  Put all of
> KDE into K* namespaces (alternatively to prefix _all_ non-nested classes
> with "K").  Provide a mean in the .desktop files to mark
> "trusted" plugins.  Those would be loaded _GLOBAL, while all other only
> _LOCAL.

What's the point of that? You still can't use a dynamic cast if it is possible
that a plugin/part is loaded with RTLD_LOCAL.

> And we can "register" known namespaces for other people, maintaining
> uniqueness, so also helping third parties.  Those which don't use this
> simply are then in error, if really a clash happens.

I think it is a good idea to promote the use of namespaces. If we start now
then maybe by the time of KDE 4.0 we can decide whether we can start loading
all libs with RTLD_GLOBAL. Till that time qt_cast is the way to go IMO.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com