kdeaddons documentation

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 21:41:38 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 22.17, Charles Samuels wrote:

Redirecting to kde-doc-english, where this is on topic.

> In the kdeaddons module, the documentation is arranged like so:
>
> doc/kate-plugins/openheader.docbook
> doc/kate-plugins/projectmanager.docbook
> doc/kate-plugins/textfilter.docbook
> doc/kate-plugins/xmltools.docbook

That listing is a little misleading.  Note that these are not valid documents
on their own, and weren't intended to be, they are simply chapters for
inclusion into index.docbook.  See kdebase/doc/kate/ or koffice/doc/kword/
for other examples.  The only reason any documentation is broken up into more
than one file is ease of translation and multiple authorship.

> I propose that we change it to:
>
> doc/kate-plugins/openheader/index.docbook
> doc/kate-plugins/projectmanager/index.docbook
> doc/kate-plugins/textfilter/index.docbook
> doc/kate-plugins/xmltools/index.docbook
>
> First of all, it's consistent with every other module,

Not really, the only one that has documentation this deep is kdebase, and not
for any of the application manuals even in there.  The kdeaddons module
currently works the same as any other, with a single index.docbook per
directory, based on the top level directories in the module itself.  kdebase
is a little special, but subdirectories are in general deprecated (for
example, we ask writers not to use them for screenshots either.)

The right solution would be doc/textfilter/index.docbook and so on, but then
how to install the right manual with the right place.  Also, making each of
these a valid standalone document, will at least double the file size of each
one, they're quite minimal at present.

> and secondly, and
> most importantly, it allows installing only one of the docbook files, the
> one that you actually want.

The real proble is, how do you propose the users access these manuals from
within Kate (or any other app)?  At present, the setup allows a "Help -->
Plugins" menu entry, where you will get the contents page, from which to
choose the plugin you're interested in.

A menu entry per installed plugin is not very efficient, especially as more
and more plugins get added.  If you have a solution to this, I'd be
interested to hear it, Daniel and I couldn't figure out anything more
user-friendly than this though.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts