Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 19:04:31 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 18:46, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Now thats a good example of a contradiction in terminus (hope I spelled
> that correctly).

My Latin is a bit rusty, but I think you did :-)

> So you want a changing interface that will be usable; and by the first rule
> of GUI design that means your changing interface still has to still be
> consitent...

What's so contraditing in that? The interface does the same thing as evolution
does with nature: it will gradually adapt itself over time. Survival of the
fittest features... the UI will always be consistent with itself, and since
all of KDE uses the self-evolving GUI the entire desktop will be consistent
with itself. Even now KDE is not 100% consistent with Windows, Mac OS or
whatever else, and that's only a good thing. Just braindead cloning others
and not adding your own ideas would be very bad to do. As long as the
self-evolving GUI remains consistent with itself I see no problems and lot of
advantages. Only problem is how to code such a thing... :-)

> I recently heard someone saying all computers had to have the same
> interface otherwise it would be hard to migrate from one to another; while
> we all know that is impossible, or at the very least boring.

Yup.

> Your suggestion makes a computer behave like a women. Without lots of the
> good parts :)

ROTFL :-)

Martijn