Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Sat Apr 20 13:47:13 BST 2002

Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Saturday April 20, 2002 04:40, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
>> Neil Stevens wrote:
>> > Has anyone said anything useful in this thread?  I'm challenging those
>> > who disagree with the status quo to show why the status quo is bad,
>> > instead of just calling it "stupid."
>>
>> Well, as long as you don't accept that the typical desktop user
>> basically wants to "do something" with his/her computer, not caring
>> about how exactily the task is a ccomplished, you can of course argue
>> away every need for a change.
>
> You have complete agreement from me about task orientation.  That's what
> leads me to support things like SDI models.  I just don't see how removing
> choices leads to greater task orientation.

Not in itself of course. You cannot take away a choice if you cannot offer
something with equivalent functionality in exchange. The problem is not
that we have a too large variety of choices but that the choices are all
bad, because they don't offer all the functionality needed for a given
task. They may even overlap in what they provide, which is especially bad,
because it prooves that the one, complete and working choice could be
possible if the code was put together.

regards,
        matze

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"