Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 10:52:40 BST 2002

On Samstag, 20. April 2002 11:44, Neil Stevens wrote:
> From: "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com>:
> > Let me explain (I'll pick on the editors): everybody wants to edit text.
> > Notice: I said "edit text", not "use gvim", nor  "use kate", not "use
> > xxx". Does this mean we need to have ONE editor. NO! Users are religious
> > about their editors. But because they are, 99.99% of users want to use
> > one editor whenever they edit text, because they are soooo much more
> > productive in the editor they are used to.
>
> So it's "religious" to want an editor that makes you more productive?
>
> I'm more interested in an explanation of why this isn't just a personal
> preference.  You've called it stupid enough times, now tell us why having
> a large K menu is stupid?  Is it because one little menu in the corner is
> hard to navigate?  What's the real problem here?
That you didn't get the irony in his statement :) Mom only wants to write a
receipe and she doesn't care even for shortcut configuration. But as other
people do, we offer the functionality in editors and much more to satisfy the
10% of the potential users who could ever make use of that, which is correct.
The best tool for the users, please, but only one for each task. Being
selective in which one to offer towards mom is the result to draw here.
Everyone else who thinks this editor sucks can run kappfinder to look for
others or look on freshmeat or apps or in his distro's installer to install
another one in addition to use that one.

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org