Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at sh.cvut.cz
Sat Apr 20 10:25:24 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 10:07, David Faure wrote:

> Subject: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)
> Date: Today 09:17:36
> From: "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com>
> To: David Faure <david at mandrakesoft.com>
[snip]

> One such area is application duplication. The proponents of choice have a
> point, but it's just a bad implementation. As a user, I don't want to have
> an "Editors" menu with four (4!) options. And I certainly don't want to
> have look in a *big* multimedia menu littered with many CD burning apps.
[snip]

 These four editors are Kate, KWrite, KEdit and the fourth one is most
probably XEdit from kappfinder. KWrite should be probably wiped out
immediatelly (IIRC it was left just for backwards compatibility), XEdit could
be probably wiped out too, or at least moved in a submenu or a different menu
(I don't believe anybody uses this thing anyway, IMHO kappfinder could just
simply ignore it instead of having .desktop file for every crappy and
obsolete piece of software it finds). KEdit from kdeutils also probably
doesn't have many users as Kate is the preffered editor, and I don't see what
it can do and Kate can't (well, besides starting faster, but there can be
certainly done something about this).

 Just my personal opinion

--
 Lubos Lunak