RFC: change 'Save session for future logins' text.

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Apr 19 12:04:24 BST 2002

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 10:05:44AM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> I am not sure that will make it any clearer.  As you might know; the
> longer the text, the less people actually read it.
>
> Besides; the sentence fails to explain what will happen when you
> uncheck the checkbox. The last _saved_ session will be started then at
> next run.
>
> IMO the dialog is clear about what it does; the concepts it represents
> OTOH are not clear to most users.  You cant explain that in an option
> like this.

this is what i tried to express. :)

> Bottom line; don't change the text. Provide a way from this dialog to
> gain more information on the concept of saving sessions.

tooltips? help button?

> Maybe that should be combined with a good session manager dialog that
> allows for multiple sessions to be named/saved.

this is on matthias ettrich's todo list for several months. however,
it is somewhat tricky (the hard part being interpreting the xsmp spec
correctly :) ).
once he gets it done, i'll try to integrate it with kdm.

greetings

The problem with making software idiot-proof is that idiots are so clever.