Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Thu Apr 18 19:30:17 BST 2002

On Donnerstag, 18. April 2002 20:19, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thursday 18 April 2002 03:35 am, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Comments ?
>
> Why haven't you merged KDevelop with KDE Studio?
Because the author of KDE studio refused on our offers to merge and lateron
was obviously convinced that it would be worthwile to go with theKompany.com
to release a commercial version of his software which is no longer developed
as a GPL application. This was shortly after our offer, so we couldn't do
anything about it.

But again, this is missing the point. KDE only includes one IDE by itself, not
3 different ones it ships with the base distribution. I was referring to
things happening like shipping several addressbooks at the same time and the
lesson to be learned could (IMHO should) be to reduce the efforts to one
application that KDE ships. All other applications that do the same thing
could be released outside the core distribution, there's nothing against
competition here.

Ralf

> Cheers,
> Waldo