Fwd: KDE... quite impressive

Kurt Granroth granroth at kde.org
Thu Apr 18 19:22:52 BST 2002

Subject: KDE... quite impressive
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:32:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Chang <miranda at ion.uranus.com>

Dear Kurt (and the entire KDE team)...

First: Wow.  KDE is a very impressive desktop environment.
The first time I tried KDE was years and years ago, and it just didn't fit
well with me.  Granted, neither did any environment for X, but it was
GNOME that I ended up staying with.
It was only this past month, however, when a friend of mine told me to
check out the new KDE.  Since the very first moment when I switched to
KDE, I've been extremely impressed --- in fact, I'm sure I'll never run
GNOME again, as long as I have a choice.
Anyway, I'd like to take my hat off to all of you.
Some nice things to note: KDE is quite fast (I really never have to wait);
it's stable (not only has it not crashed yet, but I haven't even seen one
tiny glitch); it's pretty; the interface design and the layout have
obviously been thought-out well --- I'm joyed to see consistency in widget
placement (finally, I don't have to *look* for the placement of default
buttons, since they seem more or less "standardized," therefore I get to
incorporate motor memory with regard to where I click); Konqueror is, very
honestly, the FASTEST BROWSER that I have ever used, and it actually
supports CSS and ECMA script, something that's hard to find on a
UNIX/Linux platform.
Overall, I can tell that KDE is a very integrated desktop, unlike other UIs
that seem to be a mish-mash of pieces that don't fit together well.

KDE is easily more of a good example of where UNIX/Linux desktops should
be heading toward.  I wish all of you the best of luck, and I hope that
your hard work will pay off more and more in the years to come.

Sincerely,
Michael Chang

Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth at kde.org
http://www.granroth.org  | kurt at granroth.org