Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Thu Apr 18 17:23:10 BST 2002

On Thursday 18 April 2002 18:14, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Hi,
> just my thoughts ;)
>
> What are the benefits of having more than one cd recording app in kde:
> 1. the user has a choise
> 2. a bit competition which will increase development
>
> What are the drawbacks:
> 1. Bit bigger packages (what wouldn't be right for distros which split the kde
> packages in app packages + libs, like debian I think)

2. More work for translators
3. More work for documentation writers
4. More work (often by core developers) to bring the application to the
KDE standard quality - see the recent commits to cdbakeoven.
5. More bug reports ;)
6. Code-wise, same problems as the usual drawbacks of code duplication:
what is fixed somewhere might still be a bug somewhere else.

David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/