Support for file sharing over SMB/NFS

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Wed Apr 17 17:15:39 BST 2002

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 17:43, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 08:57:57PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
>
> > The actual GUI is composed of
> > * a new tab for the properties dialog (konqueror/kdesktop...), for directories
> > to let a user share or remove the sharing for a directory under his $HOME
> > (yes, that's currently the only place allowed for sharing dirs...)
> > The tab has a message when sharing is disabled for this user, or when
> > the directory isn't in $HOME.
>
> 2 things; Rick thought that the dir $HOME should not be shared; only subdirs.

Why not? If I have an account on a machine, for work purposes only, and I share
work with others?

> second; if you want to disallow sharing outside $HOME, is there also a check in
> the server to this effect?  Don't want to rely on userspace software to be
> correct all the time since the user can replace that.

The perl script has checks too, yes.
Hmm, it seems to have a less strict one: it allows the user to share any directory that
he's owning, even e.g. /tmp/david. That's an acceptable rule too, I guess, it should just
be the same in the backend and in the UI...

David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/