strange effect with --enable-fast-malloc=full

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at sh.cvut.cz
Tue Apr 16 13:51:47 BST 2002

On Ășt 16. duben 2002 14:07, Falk Brettschneider wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I tried to compile KDE_3_0_BRANCH with using the
> --enable-fast-malloc=full flag in configure, first for kdecore only,
> second for the whole kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase.
> But now always I got a strange effect when closing my KDE application.
> Somehow it hangs forever in an infinite loop somewhere in malloc.
> Whenever I interrupt it in gdb, it shows the same callstack:
>   http://www.geocities.com/gigafalk/strange.jpg

 Hmm. The backtrace is completely useless - the only 3 things I can see is
that 1) the backtrace ends in malloc(), 2) you don't have libkdecore with
debug info even though you have it in libqt and 3) you use Keramik. Could you
give me a testcase, or find out where exactly in the malloc it loops?

 And first of all, could you run the application in valgrind? This malloc
implementation seems to be more vulnerable to heap corruption, so it may be
you have a bug somewhere and malloc in glibc gets over it somehow. Your
second mail just confirms my suspicion. Most probably you're trying to delete
something twice.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak at suse.cz ; l.lunak at kde.org