numinput labels, style

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Tue Apr 16 10:25:58 BST 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 05:28:19PM -0400, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> Hello
>
> a) is there a mailing list that discusses styleguide issues?

I am always reachable for issues like that; but the list is kde-look,
but IIRC that is more for non-official things.

> b) I looked over the styleguide and didn't find an indications of the
> following: what would be preferred for a numinput placing :
> i)
>
> Label:
> ===========
> ii)
> Label: ============
>
> Thanks
>
> CT

The reason this kind of little things are not in the styleguide is that this
is a thing you can't easiliy put rules down on.
For some cases i is the perfect solution and for others ii is.  Defining
too much in the styleguide makes it unusable and keep in mind that the guide is
also not a manual on 'how do I created a GUI'.

For most cases ii will be best; but for places where horizontal space is an
issue the first is best.  It is perfectly suitable to use i with a groupbox
if that means you can put two next to each other; this mostly saves more space
and still is very readable.

Hope this helps.

--
Thomas Zander                                            zander at earthling.net