Sockets

Thiago Macieira thiagom at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 14 15:40:54 BST 2002

Rob Kaper wrote
>On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 11:07:03AM +0200, Rolf Magnus wrote:
>> Why does kde3 create such huge amounts of sockets in
>> ~/.kde/socket-<hostname>?
>>
>> $ ls ~/.kde3/socket* -1 |wc -l
>>   23727
>
>It looks like those are left-overs from a crash or previous sessions. I
>cleaned these parts of my .kde (had 27000 entries) and after running KDE for
>a while again, now I only have a couple of entries there.

That's because we don't clean up after our mess either. That is, we don't
delete destroyed Unix server sockets.

At one point in the development of KExtendedSocket, I had added a flag to tell
whether we wanted our Unix sockets to be removed or not. But I removed it
since it was in the wrong place (i.e., removing the socket before creating,
not after destroying).

I guess I should add it again, now in the proper place?

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom at mail.com
   ICQ UIN: 1967141  PGP: 0x8F2978D5 and 0xEA9037A5 (PGP 2.x)
     Registered Linux user #65028