[CRASH] KLineEdit Crashes on an undo

Richard Newton richard.newton9 at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 14 12:30:12 BST 2002

>> some text in a lineedit and then do a clear followed by an undo, the
>> behaviour is incorrect.  Worse is if the line of text is only one
>> character, the after a clear followed by and undo, the program will
>> segfault.

>But that's a Qt bug then, no? Did you report that?

Yes, with a fix.  The problem is that KLineEdit undoes the fix and does
exactly what qt did before the bug was fixed.

>> The fix in qt was to make the behaviour of clear equivalent to doing a
>> select all followed by a delete.  This apparently causes some unwanted side
>> effects, so another way needs to be found.

>Are you speaking of qt-rsync? I got a reply from qt-bugs to my report and he
>said the problem was fixed. So I hope we can remove the setText(
>QString::null ) and simply call QLineEdit::clear() soon.

I'm not sure what bug you are talking about here.  The QLineEdit crashing bug
is fixed in qt-copy, but apparently has unwanted side effects which I do not
know when will be fix.  Even with some unwanted side effect, this would seem
better than the current situation where any program using KLineEdit can be
crashed trivially.

I think the best solution is to remove KLineEdit::clear() completely and let
qt handle it.

Ric.