How to Make KPPP a KUniqueApplication?

Harri Porten porten at trolltech.com
Sun Apr 14 01:08:34 BST 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, markcox wrote:

> It appears to work, and the UI behaves just fine, but as soon as you click the
> "connect" button kppp freezes. Is there a reason that kppp can't be a
> KUniqueApplication?

kppp is often installed with a +s permission and forks into a backend and
a GUI running with regular user rights. This could easily lead to problems
(different user permissions, zombie backend processes). I fear you'll have
to debug this further. 'ps aux | grep kppp' will help you telling which
instances are currently running.

> -  KApplication a;
> +  // Using KUniqueApplication means that if kppp is already running,
> +  // then it will be brought to the front by the magic of dcop.
> +  if (!KUniqueApplication::start())
> +     return 0;
> +
> +  KUniqueApplication a;

This change is probably not enough as kppp already has some logic to just
have a single instance running at the same time (pid file introduced in
pre-DCOP times).
Theoretically this limitation doesn't even make sense but does somebody
have two modems and two phone lines to test multiple connections?)

Harri.